Monday, December 31, 2007

Back to 7

We transitioned the twins to their permanent foster home on Sat. I knew this day would come. There were times we wondered if we should just keep the twins for the duration of how long they would be in 'the system.' Watching them change and thrive here was amazing. It was hard to let them go.

I wanted to write a book for the new foster mom of what I thought they needed. How B-bird needs to talk at night to unwind while I hold her hand and rub her back. How J-bear needs her head rubbed and reassurance as she shares her heart before she sleeps. Would she tell them how special they are and how loved they are? There were so many other little things...

It was hard to leave them there and come back home knowing my job was done. This is what I signed up for. Emergency shelter care. I love them, clean them up, love them, get them stable and move them to their permanent foster home. The day before we knew they were leaving, J-bear came to me wrapped her arms around me and said, "I wish I had been born in your tummy. I wish you were my mom. Can I stay here forever?" I am still sewing my heart back together...

I can't keep them all. I can't do 20 children. The state won't let me. What I can do is hope 20 other wonderful families will each sign up and make a difference in a child's life. Together we can save them all!

I still see all the teenagers in the system that I cannot house yet. It will be 10 more years before our children are old enough to do teens. Maybe we can house one sooner...we are open to the idea. No child will go unconsidered.

House is awfully quiet with just 7.

No comments: